This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1115770

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newbold Verdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188546

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWBOLD VERDON MAIN STREET SK 40 SW (North side) 5/35 Church of St. James 7.11.66

G.V. II

Parish Church. C12, C13, C15, 1899 rebuilding by H.C.Goddard of Leicester in a Gothic style, Tower heightened and spire added in 1960, by L.G.D.Ogden. Randomly coursed Mount Sorrel granite, sandstone ashlar dressings, shingled spire and plain tiled roofs. Western tower, nave, north aisle and chapel, chancel, south porch and vestry. Tower with broach spire, chamfered offset to upper stage, the lower part may be of C12 date. The upper stage has plain 3 light opening to 3 sides, the spire has a raking 2 light dormer window to each main direction. In the north aisle is a reused 3 light stepped C13 lancet set within a round arch externally. In the north chapel east wall is a reused C15 3 light traceried window thought to be the former east window of the medieval church. All other fenestration dates from the 1899 rebuilding and comprises 2 light windows with ogee heads to the lights and flat headed stone surrounds to the aisle and pointed stone surrounds to the nave. The chancel east window is of 5 lights in a Perpendicular style. The south vestry off the chancel and south porch are both separately gabled and have pointed C19 doorways. Interior. The nave north arcade is of 5 bays with octagonal piers and arches having wave mouldings decorated with fleurons. C19 pointed and moulded chancel arch. Fittings: Font has plain octagonal bowl, possibly C13. All other fittings are C19 or later.

Listing NGR: SK4433303786

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 44333 03786

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115770 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:15:51.

End of official listing