THE OLD MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1115783

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: THE OLD MANOR HOUSE, 15, SAVAGES CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115783 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 03:37:28.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD MANOR HOUSE, 15, SAVAGES CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick (District Authority)

Parish: Bishop's Tachbrook

National Grid Reference: SP 31583 61282

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BISHOPS TACHBROOK Savages Close

16/118 The Old Manor House No 15 11.4.67

- II

Circa 1558 with large late C19 addition to north; the whole much modernised. The older portion is H-shaped in plan facing west, with slightly projecting gabled cross-wings. The fabric of the west front is hidden by painted pebble- dash render but the south side is of C17 brickwork. Rendered plinth. Steeply pitched plain tile roof with gabled ends. Bargeboards with finials to all gables. One storey and attic, four-window range to west. Three gabled bays. All fenestration restored and of C19 date. At ground floor three splayed oriel bay windows with mullion/transom casements, and one 4-light mullion/transom window to left of porch. Steps up to gabled wooden porch. Front entrance door six-panelled with moulded framing and panels carved with lozenge ornament. At first floor one 8-light mullion/transom window and one gabled dormer with four-light mullion/transom casements. Three brick chimney stacks, two at ridge and one projects from south elevation. Interior of older portion: early C17 panelling in entrance hall. Staircase behind entrance hall is partly of C17 date with turned balusters. Ground floor rooms have C17 ceiling beams. The splayed bay window on west elevation to room south of entrance hall contains some old glass including the Savage Arms dated 1577. The above-mentioned bay window and that to south and the one immediately round corner on south eleva- tion have been restored but retain carved C16 external friezes above the lights. In library at first floor of northern cross-wing, a large late C16 oak chimney piece from Kenilworth Castle. Richly carved with overmantle of three bays. Barrel vaulted plaster ceilings to library and bedroom at first floor of southern cross-wing. The late C19 painted rendered addition to north is of two storeys and attic. Gabled cross-wing and gable to north. Mullion/transom casements similar to those on older portion. Two brick ridge chimney stacks and brick water tower on west in angle between cross-wing and northern gable. Tachbrook was one of the estates belonging to the Savage Landor family and Walter Savage Landor, the poet and writer, spent much of his time in this house.



Listing NGR: SP3158361282

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 307985

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing