WOLVEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1115792
Date first listed:
04-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
WOLVEY HALL, HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOLVEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 08:30:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
WOLVEY HALL, HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Rugby (District Authority)
Parish:
Wolvey
National Grid Reference:
SP 42820 87959

Details

WOLVEY HALL ROAD SP48NW (North side) 4/35 Wolvey Hall 04/12/51 - II

House. c.l676; remodelled 1889. Flemish bond brick with string courses and some roughcast. Plain-tile roof; blue brick internal stacks and ridge stacks to rear. Complex plan, with slightly-projecting cross wings. 2 storeys and attic; 6-window range. 2-bay centre has open porch in left angle. Segmental-arched doorway and flanking openings. Pediment has coat of arms and dated 1676 and 1889. 6-panelled door and overlight in moulded surround. Leaded single lights to left and right. Stone plaque above door records the history of the building and its owners. 8-pane sash to right. Left wing has large canted ground-floor bay window. Right wing has French window. Windows have gauged brick flat arches throughout. First and second floors are symmetrical. 2-bay cross wings. Cross windows with horizontal glazing bars throughout. Roughcast gables have 3-light wood mullioned and transomed windows. Centre has 2 pedimented roof dormers; 2-light casements with horizontal glazing bar. Single-storey range to left has crow-stepped gable. French window. Slate sundial above. Right return side of main range has large panelled wood semi-circular oriel window with roughcast base on carved corbel. Interior: panelled entrance hall. Open-well staircase. Lower part, dated 1677 on vase panel on landing, has elaborate open scroll work balustrade with moulded roundels, and newels with moulded square finials, and openwork drop. Balustrade and gate across flight to cellar have large C17 twisted balusters. Upper part of staircase is OS with column-on-vase balusters. Room to right has panelling and two C18 round-arched alcoves flanking boleciton fireplace. Room to rear has fragments of C17 and earlier stained glass. Room to left has old chamfered beam. Former open fireplace has moulded cornice and fragments of old carvings. A first-floor room has chamfered beams. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.281; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.480; Peter Reid: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, p.187).

Listing NGR: SP4282087959

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308901
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 480
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, (1980), 187

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/10968/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Barlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].