TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL STABLE WITH ATTACHED TICKET OFFICE AT WHEELOCK WHARF

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1115838

Date first listed: 05-Jul-1994

Statutory Address: TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL STABLE WITH ATTACHED TICKET OFFICE AT WHEELOCK WHARF

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL STABLE WITH ATTACHED TICKET OFFICE AT WHEELOCK WHARF
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115838 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 21:35:28.

Location

Statutory Address: TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL STABLE WITH ATTACHED TICKET OFFICE AT WHEELOCK WHARF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Sandbach

National Grid Reference: SJ 75132 59239

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

SANDBACH TRENT AND MERSEY SJ 75 NE CANAL Stable with Attached Ticket 918- /5/10002 Office at Wheelock Wharf II GV

Stable with attached ticket office. Stable. Late C18/early C19. Red brick with plain tile roof 2 storeys fronting onto wharf Central entrance with segmental arched lintel. Door opening to 1st floor hayloft, directly above; with one window to either side. Wooden plank doors and shutters. Dentillated eaves band. The horse stalls are reputedly intact. Office section has been added to right side in early-mid C19. Red brick with plain tile roof Single storey. Central entrance with semicircular arched brick surround and 6-panel door. Segmental headed window to right. Large, late C20 inserted entrance to left. Ridge chimney stack. Dentillated eaves band. Windows boarded up. Part of a group of early canal buildings built around Wheelock Wharf. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall. Included for group value. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966) Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)

Listing NGR: SJ7513259239

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351193

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lindsay, J, The Trent and Mersey Canal, (1979)
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the East Midlands, (1966)

End of official listing