TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 137 (HALL'S BRIDGE) AT SJ 8159 5622

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1115841

Date first listed: 05-Jul-1994

Statutory Address: BRIDGE NUMBER 137 (HALL’S BRIDGE) AT SJ 8159 5622, TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 137 (HALL'S BRIDGE) AT SJ 8159 5622
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115841 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 21:45:02.

Location

Statutory Address: BRIDGE NUMBER 137 (HALL’S BRIDGE) AT SJ 8159 5622, TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Church Lawton

National Grid Reference: SJ 81586 56221

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/01/2013

SJ 85 NW 1923- /7/10004

CHURCH LAWTON TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL Bridge number 137 (Hall's Bridge) at SJ 8159 5622

(Formerly listed as Bridge No. 137 at SJ 8159 5622)

GV II

Canal accommodation bridge. East span circa early C19 with west span added/bridge remodelled circa early 1830's when Locks No. 49 were duplicated, probably by Thomas Telford. Red brick and brindled brick with stone coping and dressings. Towpath to west span. Integral with adjoining pair of locks. Both spans have elliptical arches. Swept wings/roving arms with trailing edges to south elevation and west side of north elevation. Central pier to south side. East span has stone/stone slab quoins to arch, and west span has stone quoins/voussoirs. Stone string course and plaque at crown to both arches on both sides. Minor repairs. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall with subsequent alterations. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966) Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)

Listing NGR: SJ8158656221

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351203

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lindsay, J, The Trent and Mersey Canal, (1979)
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the East Midlands, (1966)

End of official listing