TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 149 AT SJ 7685 5888

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1115844

Date first listed: 05-Jul-1994

Statutory Address: TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 149 AT SJ 7685 5888

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 149 AT SJ 7685 5888
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115844 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 03:38:15.

Location

Statutory Address: TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 149 AT SJ 7685 5888

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Betchton

National Grid Reference: SJ 76856 58890

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BETCHTON TRENT AND MERSEY SJ 75 NE CANAL

1923- /6/10008 Bridge No. 149 at SJ 7685 5888

GV II

Canal accommodation bridge. South span circa 1772-75 by James Brindley/Hugh Henshall, extended to north and remodelled circa early 1830's, probably by Thomas Telford when Lock No. 60 was duplicated. Brick and brindled brick with stone coping and dressings. Double span with towpath to south span. Integral with adjoining pair of locks. Segmental headed arch to south span and elliptical headed arch to north span. Swept wings terminating in piers at all 4 comers (those to west side are of stone). Stone voussoirs and quoins to both arches on west side but only to north (later) span on east side. Stone string course above both arches on both sides. Cast iron guard plates to both arches; those to towpath side are on curved wooden posts. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall with subsequent alterations. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966) Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)

Listing NGR: SJ7685658890

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351210

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lindsay, J, The Trent and Mersey Canal, (1979)
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the East Midlands, (1966)

End of official listing