WESTON HOUSE, INCLUDING REMAINS OF FORMER CATHOLIC CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1115867

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Feb-1984

Statutory Address: WESTON HOUSE, INCLUDING REMAINS OF FORMER CATHOLIC CHAPEL, OLNEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WESTON HOUSE, INCLUDING REMAINS OF FORMER CATHOLIC CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115867 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 06:48:07.

Location

Statutory Address: WESTON HOUSE, INCLUDING REMAINS OF FORMER CATHOLIC CHAPEL, OLNEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Weston Underwood

National Grid Reference: SP 86752 50754

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 85 SE WESTON UNDERWOOD OLNEY ROAD (south east side)

1/252 Weston House, including remains of former Catholic chapel (formerly listed as the Chapel)

17.11.66 (part)

GV II

House, a surviving wing of a mansion and including the surviving bay of a former Roman Catholic Chapel. Early C18 with additions of 1828 and later. Coursed rubblestone and plain tile roofs. Early C18 part of 3 bays and 2 storeys. At left is single storey c 1980 addition with 6-panel door and 2-light casement. Other bays have modern 2-light casements with transom lights and at right, a C18 door below console bracketed hood, probably reset. Upper floor has 3 leaded cross-casement windows which are original. Moulded eaves and tile roof hipped to north, 1828 block parallel to C18 block and of 2 storeys with attic. South front has gable stacks, french doors to ground floor and sashes above. Rainwater head to valley dated 1828. South west front of 3 bays, has ground floor with 2 leaded-light cross casements and door at left, first floor sashes. Chapel bay set back from north east front and has half- hipped tile roof. One leaded Y-tracery Gothic window. Interior: Centre and north west rooms have egg-and-dart and acanthus friezed box cornice Fireplaces have dentil cornices. This house is the west wing of Weston House which was refronted and the wings added circa 1710. The original house was C16. The early C18 work was done for Sir Robert Throckmorton but the bulk of the mansion was demolished in 1827. The chapel was built for the Throckmortons in 1838, but mostly demolished C20. RCHM II 318 MON 8 (part)

Listing NGR: SP8675250754

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351160

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

End of official listing