This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1115943

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Milton Keynes

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Emberton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 350931

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 84 NE EMBERTON CHURCH LANE

5/26 Parish Church of All Saints

17.11.66

- II*

Parish Church. Chancel, nave and aisles built c1340, west tower early C15. Porches and vestry c1870. Nave much restored and clerestory rebuilt c1870. Chancel walls ashlar, remainder of coursed rubblestone. Chancel roof tile, the remainder slated. 2 bay chancel, 5 bay nave with aisles, west tower and north and south porches. Chancel has 5-light east window and 2 windows of 3-lights to each side, all with Decorated flowing ogee light tracery. Plain plinth,moulded sill, string course. Moulded cornice enriched with flowers, grotesque heads and hearts. Buttresses, one to middle of north wall, two at each east angle have gabled heads, those on east have square pinnacles, enriched with crocketed gables and traceried sides, below are niches with trefoil pointed heads and gabled labels. Nave has north and south porches c1870 and 3-light windows with Victorian Decorated tracery, reticulated or flowing, 2 to the east of the porches one to their west (By 1850 all Medieval tracery in the nave had been removed). Clerestory has 5 quatrefoil Victorian windows. West tower of 2 stages with a north east stair-turret and diagonal west buttresses. West doorway of 3 moulded orders, 2-light windows over. Bell chamber has 2-light windows with outer arch of 3 orders. Upper storey replaced belfry removed in 1850. Coped parapet. Interior: Chancel arch early C15 of 2 moulded orders dying into the walls. Nave arcade of 5 bays with pointed arches of 2 moulded orders. Piers of 4 engaged shafts with moulded bell capitals and bases. Moulded labels with modern stops. Tower arch of 3 chamfered acutely pointed orders, outermost continuous, inner two with 3 attached shafts, moulded bell capitals and bases. Piscina and Sedilia range in chancel. 4 bays of cusped ogee arches with moulded capitals and, in spandrels, shields with instruments of the Passion. Piscina in left bay. On north side of chancel oak 3-bay screen withcusped foiled arches, C15; font is octagonal bowl with tracery pattern panels. Stem also panelled. Moulded base, c1400. Brass in chancel north wall, John Mordon alias Andrew, 1410. Figure of priest in mass vestments. North chancel window has stained glass by O'Connor, 1865. At west end War Memorial by Farmer and Brindley, c1920. Alabaster angel on oxblood marble plinth.

RCHM II. 111. Mon. 1

Listing NGR: SP8849649456

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 25 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/122329
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/118
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SP 88496 49456

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115943 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 05:29:25.

End of official listing