CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1115981

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115981 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 10:56:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Stoke Hammond

National Grid Reference: SP 87940 29772

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 82 NE STOKE HAMMOND SCHOOL LANE

3/77 Church of St. Luke

18.10.66

GV II*

Parish church. C14 chancel and central tower, nave and transepts with late C15 details, C15 S. porch. W. wall of nave rebuilt and church restored 1852. Greensand rubble with limestone dressings, ashlar parapets, diagonal buttresses to chancel repaired with brick. Lead roofs. Nave has much restored Perpendicular windows, 5-light to W., 3-light to N. and S. all with 4-centred heads. Moulded doorways, that to N. blocked, that to S. in gabled porch. Transepts have similar 3-light windows to N. and S. N. transept has lean-to to W. with arched doorway to lower stairs, and C19 lean-to vestry to E. Central tower is of one stage above the nave and has battlemented parapet and 2-light Decorated openings with ogee tracery. Chancel has one bay of 2-light Decorated windows, a single cusped low-side window and small moulded doorway to S., and a 3-light Perpendicular E. window all restored. Interior: main beams of nave and transept roofs are C15 but have C19 carved bosses and in the transepts, C19 carved angel corbels Tower rests on 4 double-chamfered arches, those to nave and chancel on semi- octagonal piers with moulded caps Chancel has piscina and double sedilia in ogee arches. Fittings C14 font with circular bowl on stem with 4 attached shafts; altar table dated 1619; poor box dated 1618 on turned baluster; other fittings C19. Monuments: late C17 monument to members of Disney and Wilks families on N. wall of chancel has dark grey stone inscription tablet in clunch surround of tapering Doric columns, and broken pediment with relief of kneeling figures; tablet to Mary Disney 1658; Tablet to members of Fountaine family 1650-90 in N. transept; tablet to Trimnell and Hillersdon Frank 1766 in nave. RCHM II p.282-3.

Listing NGR: SP8794029772

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 350817

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

End of official listing