CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1116023

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CUBLINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116023 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 03:56:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CUBLINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Aston Abbotts

National Grid Reference: SP 84739 20239

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 82 SW ASTON ABBOTTS CUBLINGTON ROAD Church of St. James 5/1

18.10.66

GV II*

Parish church. W. tower is late C15 - early C16, remainder rebuilt 1865-6 by G.E. Street. Rubble stone, the tower with roughly dressed blocks. Tiled roofs with decorative ridges and stone coped gables. Tower, nave, S. porch, chancel, vestry. Tower has square stair turret at S.E. corner, diagonal buttresses, restored battlemented parapet and worn plinth. Bell chamber has paired openings to W. and E., and single lights to N., and S. W. side has door and 3-light traceried window. All tower openings have 4-centred heads. Remainder is in Decorated style with traceried windows. Nave has 2 3-light windows to N. and 3 2-light windows to S. S. porch is steeply gabled with 2-centred arch. Chancel has one bay of 2-light windows and 3-light window to E., all with some re-set old masonry. Lowside window to S. has pair of cusped lancets. Interior: triple chamfered tower arch, simple chamfered chancel arch. Nave has C19 arch-braced collar and king-post roof. Restored C15 piscina and octagonal font. Chest dated 1695. Other fittings C19.

RCHM II p.56.

Listing NGR: SP8473920239

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 350738

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

End of official listing