37 AND 38, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1116054
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
37 AND 38, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116054.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2021 at 00:27:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
37 AND 38, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51756 06285

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 1485 (North Side) Nos 37 & 38 SP 5106 SE 9/354 12.1.54. II GV 2. House and modern shop, 1 building. RCHM 59. C16-17. 2-storeyed stuccoed timber-framing with 2 gabled dormers, a new stone slate roof and brick stacks. The lst floor has 2 3-sided bay windows with modem C18 style sashes. The gabled dormer windows are modem with 5-light casements and are supported on ancient carved and enriched wooden brackets with Tudor-style blank shields thereon. The moulded wood lintel of the West gabled dormer window is ancient. Interior. RCHM page 163a. Includes C18 panelling and doors. In the ground floor of No 38 are plastered beams. In the wing at the back is a fireplace and a plastered and ornamented beam. History. For leases and tenants 1569 to 1865, see Oxford History. Society LXVI (1914), 276, 289-90; LXIX (1916) 339, 351. Certain building work was going on here in 1664 when it was The Inn. For plan in circa 1725, see 1b. LXVI, Plan VIII.

All the listed buildings on the North Side form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5175406286

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245487
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 163
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, (1914), 276
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, (1914), 289-290
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, (1916), 339
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, (1916), 351

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16132/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].