Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1116105

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Mar-1988



Ordnance survey map of PRIORY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116105 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 23:43:50.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire (District Authority)

Parish: Maxstoke

National Grid Reference: SP 23450 86833


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


MAXSTOKE CHURCH ROAD SP2386 (South side) 17/108 Priory Farmhouse 11/11/52 GV II* Inner gatehouse to Priory of Augustinian Canons; converted to a house late C16. Early C14 with late C16 alterations. Squared and irregular coursed sandstone. Timber-framed with brick infill and red brick. Plain-tiled roof. Red brick ridge stack and late C16 projecting side stack on the rear, of coursed sandstone with red brick to upper courses. 2 storeys and attic. North front has 2 first floor late C16 or early C17 ovolo mullion cross-frame casements of sandstone. Another window to a gable above the doorway has a moulded stone architrave and 3-light wood cross-frame casement of C18/C19. At ground floor a doorway in early C19 rusticated stone surround. C20 plank door. 3-centred double chamfered carriageway arch, early C14, now blocked. Rear wall has opposing carriageway arch now blocked. Late C16 cross-frame casements in rear wall including one of 3 lights to first floor hall. The west gable end has mid/late C16 timber-framing of vertical studding to part of the wall and the east gable end has been rebuilt in red brick in Cl8/C19. Interior: Mid/late C16 roof in 5 bays. Through-purlins with wind bracing, cambered tie beams and raking Queen struts. Original chamfered arches of early C14 to some openings on the interior. Mid C17 staircase with symmetrically turned balusters with square newels and moulded rail. Run-through panelling reset in one room having C16 ceiling enriched with moulded main beams and painted with shields of arms. Originally at first floor and moved to ground floor. Originally the inner gatehouse with priors lodging above of the priory of Augustinian Canons founded by William de Clinton, Earl of Huntingdon, in 1336 and consecrated in 1342. Scheduled ancient monument. (VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV; Buildings of England; Warwickshire: p349)

Listing NGR: SP2345086833


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 309013

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 349

End of official listing