GARENDON PARK, THE TEMPLE OF VENUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1116109
Date first listed:
15-Mar-1965
Statutory Address:
GARENDON PARK, THE TEMPLE OF VENUS, ASHBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GARENDON PARK, THE TEMPLE OF VENUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116109.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 23:35:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
GARENDON PARK, THE TEMPLE OF VENUS, ASHBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Charnwood (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 49790 19057

Details

SK 4919 ASHBY ROAD 9/12 (north side)

15.3.65 Garendon Park, The Temple of Venus GV II*

Temple, of the 1730s, by Ambrose Phillipps of Garendon (d.1737). Of ashlar, with carved oak entablature and copper dome. Circular plan, loosely based on the Temple of Vesta at Tivoli. Raised on 4 steps, with a peristyle of Ionic columns. Entablature painted white, with the frieze of ox skulls and small bays with swags between. The roof member of the cornice has lions' heads at intervals. The centre of the temple has a circular apartment with rusticated walls, classical doorcase and 2-fold fielded-panel door. The interior originally contained a statue of Venus, now lost, perhaps destroyed by Luddite rioters in 1811. Mark Aironard, "Ambrose Phillipps of Garendon", Architectural History, 1965.

Listing NGR: SK4979019057

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
189383
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Architectural History' in Architectural History, (1965)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 26 Leicestershire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/02120/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R Vollar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].