12, THE MARKET PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1116117
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1950
Statutory Address:
12, THE MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 12, THE MARKET PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116117 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 15:04:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
12, THE MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
Parish:
Faversham
National Grid Reference:
TR 01570 61342

Details

THE MARKET PLACE 1. ll03 (South Side) ---------------- No 12 TR O16l SE 3/10 29.7.50. II GV

2. This building (originally part of Hatche's House, with No 14 Market Street adjoining) was later the Queen's Arms Inn, to which James II was brought when apprehended on the Swale on his first attempt to escape in 1688. The building is of C16 date, refronted in the early C19. 2 storeys 4 windows. Stuccoed. Stringcourse, coved cornice and parapet. The 2 centre window bays project. Small pediment over them. Good contemporary shop front flanked by scagliola Doric pilasters and the centre portion by engaged scagliola Ionic columns with modillion cornice over supported on brackets, of which the centre portion projects further than the sides. The outer sections contain depressed arches with keystones over, the western one being an entrance to Back Lane, the eastern one part of the shop front. The centre portico has a wider depressed arch with a bracket in place of the keystone. Rectangular panel of scrolled iron work below and plate glass window. Doorway in Back Lane in moulded architrave surround with blocked rectangular fanlight and door of 6 fielded panels; moulded projecting cornice over. Originally formed 1 house with No 14 Market Place [qv].

All the listed buildings in the Market Place form a group. Also Nos 14 to 16 (consec) form a group with Nos 1 and 2, 4 to 12 (consec) West Street.

Listing NGR: TR0157061342

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
175941
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].