LEVER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1116133

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: LEVER HOUSE, WOOD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEVER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116133 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 18:10:13.

Location

Statutory Address: LEVER HOUSE, WOOD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 33737 83906

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEBINGTON WOOD STREET SJ 38 SW (south side) Port Sunlight 6/284 Lever House 12.2.86

G.V. II

Office building. 1895. By William and Segar Owen. Rear block. 1913-14. By J. Lomax Simpson. Brick with stone dressings, slate roofs. One storey, 35-bay block to street, with 2 storey 21 bay rear block. Central 11 bays of stone. Top entablature,cornice, and parapet to right of centre. Centre has moulded base, sill course and balustrade; Ionic pilastrade with end quoin strips. Windows have architraves, keys and segmental pediments and are sashed, no glazing bars; relief carving of wreaths, swags, ribbands and drops. Central entrance has architrave with key and overlight, cartouche above inscribed "LEVER HOUSE"; flanking panelled pilasters with entablature blocks and open pediment. Clock above has open segmental pediment and carved surround. Royal Arms above balustrade. 2 wrought iron bracketed lamps. Wings have applied round arcade with paired windows with stone lintels, bays flanking centre are narrower. End bay has paired entrances under round archivolts and fanlights. Several cross-axial stacks. Rear block similar, all but end 3 bays have balustrade, central panel with date. Windows similar to above, those to centre 5 bays with stone architraves, flanked by bull's eyes in square stone panels. Cross-axial stacks. Interior has richly decorated entrance hall with short flight of steps to upper end, saucer dome and rectangular ceiling light. Entrances have swan-neck pediments. Large office wings to sides have segmental vaulted ceilings, similar wing to rear has 1st floor balcony.

Listing NGR: SJ3373783906

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 215624

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing