This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1116192

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES'S STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Apr-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 28809

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5118 EX-MANGOTSFIELD UD ST JAMES'S STREET Church of. St James ST 67 NE 2/199 24.4.51. II* GV 2. Mediaeval Parish Church probably incorporating William de Putot's memorial chapel of 1221-28. C13 with later mediaeval alterations and C19 rebuilding and alterations. (James Foster of Bristol 1812, and Pope, Bindon and Clarke 1851). Built of pennant stone rubble with freestone dressings. Consists of nave, chancel, north aisle, north chapel, vestry, south porch with tower over. Three stage tower with embattled freestone parapet, pinnacles and octagonal spire (raised 1851), square stair turret to north-east and diagonal buttresses rising through one stage only. Below is C13 porch, inner doorway with deeply undercut mouldings, detached shafts with waterholding bases, dog-tooth ornament to capitals and trefoiled niche (restored) over the arch. Windows perpendicular in style and mostly restored, some pointed and some square headed. West door comparatively plain but with 2 flanking niches containing small shield-bearing knights. Interior has nave arcade of 3 perpendicular arches. C15 font. C19 roof with angel corbels. Marble tablet to Edward Andrews, died 1758. In the porch is a mediaeval wooden chest.

Listing NGR: ST6644876177

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 66448 76177

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116192 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 12:17:11.

End of official listing