Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116201.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 22:43:23.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 64931 73903


1. 5118 EX-KINGSWOOD UD PARK ROAD (west side) Whitfield's Tabernacle ST 6473 9/173 6.6.51. I 2. Important survival, though relatively modest, of the C18 evangelical movement. Built 1741, enlarged 1802. Rendering on rubble, pantile roof in 3 hipped sections lying from front to rear, centre section slightly higher than side sections, eaves all round. Entrance elevation to Park Road has 3 cambered-headed window openings on upper level and 3 flat-headed openings to lower level, sashes with glazing bars in exposed wooden frames. Plain square headed door opening to right with recessed door. Bronze plaque reads: "This building was erected by - George Whitfield BA and John Cennick AD 1741 - it is - Whitfield's first tabernacle, the oldest existing memorial to his great share in the 18th century revival." Right hand end elevation has 2 plain doors, one at each end, and cambered head window above, 3 tall semi-circular headed windows to the centre, sashes with glazing bars, in exposed wood frames. Mid C19 2 storey vestry and committee room extension to west. Interior: Gallery on 3 sides on corner columns with palmette caps; panelled galleries, one panel being the original preaching stone. The original building has the central roof, the flanking ones being added 1802 with the galleries.

Listing NGR: ST6493173903


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/05305/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Martin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].