TOMB OF JOHN TRADESCANT AND HIS FAMILY IN ST MARY'S CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1116214
Date first listed:
27-Mar-1981
Statutory Address:
TOMB OF JOHN TRADESCANT AND HIS FAMILY IN ST MARY'S CHURCHYARD, LAMBETH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOMB OF JOHN TRADESCANT AND HIS FAMILY IN ST MARY'S CHURCHYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116214.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2020 at 13:15:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOMB OF JOHN TRADESCANT AND HIS FAMILY IN ST MARY'S CHURCHYARD, LAMBETH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lambeth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30626 78998

Details

LAMBETH ROAD SE1 1. (north side) 5023 Tomb of John Tradescant and his family in St Mary's Churchyard TQ 3079 4/1089

II*

2. 1662 hard sandstone sarcophagus with high relief carvings on all four sides depicting classical and Egyptian ruins, trees on the four corners and other flora and fauna including a mythical hydra on one end. The lid slab of 1853 records the date of the original tomb, its repair in 1773 and final restoration in 1853 with a poem in honour of John Tradescant and his son who sought out and collected "what is rare in land and sea in air". The Tradescants were gardeners to Charles I; Lambeth residents, they travelled widely and returned with many botanical discoveries; they established a physic garden in South Lambeth and their collections subsequently went to the Ashmolean Museum.

Listing NGR: TQ3062678998

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
204424
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/05735/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Rebecca Kenny. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top