This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARAGRET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARAGRET

List entry Number: 1116238

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARAGRET, CHAPEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Walsall

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219059

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALSALL MB CHAPEL LANE SP 09 NW Great Barr 7/23 Church of St Margaret 11.08.51 II Church. 1862 by Griffin. Brick tower of 1677 with C18 spire, encased in sandstone in 1893. Limestone rubble with red sandstone dressings and tile roof. Comprises a west tower, nave with north and south aisles under pitched roofs, lower chancel, and north vestry. Tower has angle buttresses, a moulded pointed west door with clock face above, and moulded pointed bell openings of two trefoiled lights. A banded stone spire with lucarnes is set back behind an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. Windows have pointed heads and Geometric tracery. The west windows of the aisles are of three lights. The south aisle is of five bays separated by buttresses. The windows are of two lights except for the right-hand one which is of one light. The left-hand bay is covered by mid-C20 extensions. The north aisle is of five bays with 2-light windows. The nave has timber dormers. The east window of the south aisle is of two lights, the chancel window of three lights, and the north aisle has a round east window. Interior: four-bay nave arcades have round columns with foliated capitals, and pointed arches chamfered in two orders. The open roof has arch-braced trusses carried on carved stone corbels. The pointed chancel arch springs from responds which are carried on angel corbels. Arches open from the chancel into a north organ chamber and south chapel. Windows contain glass of late C19 and early C20 date. Alabaster pulpit designed by Walter Tapper, RA. (Reaney, JS, The History of the Church of St Margaret, Great Barr, n.d.).

Listing NGR: SP0489495846

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Reaney, J S , The History of the Church of St Margaret Great Barr

National Grid Reference: SP 04894 95846

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116238 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:19:36.

End of official listing