CARVED STONE FRAGMENT, 25 METRES SOUTH OF NEASHAM HILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1116260

Date first listed: 27-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: CARVED STONE FRAGMENT, 25 METRES SOUTH OF NEASHAM HILL, NEASHAM HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CARVED STONE FRAGMENT, 25 METRES SOUTH OF NEASHAM HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 03:55:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CARVED STONE FRAGMENT, 25 METRES SOUTH OF NEASHAM HILL, NEASHAM HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Darlington (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Neasham

National Grid Reference: NZ 33123 10397

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEASHAM NEASHAM HILL NZ 31 SW (South side, off)

8/122 Carved stone fragment, 25 metres south of Neasham Hill II

Carved stone fragment with representation of the Crucifixion. Possibly C12; formerly set in wall of Neasham Hill but moved to present position c.1983. Sandstone. 0.75-metre high rectangular block on late C20 stone base. Worn figures in relief representing: Crucifixion of Christ on front; draped figure on rear; a pilgrim (?) with staff and part of a Latin inscription on sides. The fragment is thought to have been removed from the ruins of Neasham Abbey, a Benedictine Nunnery founded c.1156.

(T. Fordyce, The History and Antiquities of County Durham, Vol. 1, 1837).

Listing NGR: NZ3312310397

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 350478

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fordyce, T, The History and Antiquities of County Durham, (1837)

End of official listing