Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of LOSSENHAM MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116351 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 20:29:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Ashford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 84034 27792


NEWENDEN LOSSENHAM LANE 1. 5272 Lossenham Manor TQ 82 NW 11/244 4.11.77. II

2. A house of Carmelite Friars was founded here in 1241 by Sir Thomas Aliber or Fitz Ancher. It was dissolved in 1536. The present building is of 2 parallel ranges. The back range is timber framed and was built by Sir John Colepepper in 1628 but has been refaced with red brick in the C18. The front range dates mainly from the C18, but the easternmost window bay was probably added in the early C19. Two storeys and attics red brick on a stone base. Four windows facing south. The easternmost window bay has a parapet. The remainder has a stone stringcourse and an eaves cornice of brick cogging and moulded wood, except the centre window bay which projects and has a stone stringcourse above the 1st floor also, and a blunt C19 gable containing 2 attic windows and one window space. One gabled dormer on each side of this. Mansard tiled roof. Vertical glazing bars only intact. Wide stone porch with Doric columns and triglyph frieze. At the south-east corner is a red brick wall at right angles to the house having a brick pier at each end and one in the centre, all surmounted by ball caps. Interior contains some C18 fireplaces and one room with exposed beams probably of early C17 date.

Listing NGR: TQ8403427792


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].