GODSTOW ABBEY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1116388
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
GODSTOW ABBEY, GODSTOW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GODSTOW ABBEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116388 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 00:55:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
GODSTOW ABBEY, GODSTOW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 48434 09109

Details

GODSTOW ROAD 1. 1485 (South Side) Godstow Abbey SP 4809 16/16 12.1.54. II 2. RCHM 49. A rectangular enclosure of rubble walling, mainly medieval, with a blocked doorway in the East wall and 2 blocked archways in the North. In the South East angle are the remains of what was probably an early C16 chapel, possibly in the Abbess's Lodging; it is built of rubble and retains the East window frame of stone.

Listing NGR: SP4843409109

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245455
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 155-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12733/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Papini. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].