THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1116393

Date first listed: 11-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL, VICARAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116393 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 20:37:13.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL, VICARAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Nuneaton and Bedworth (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 36536 91679

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP39SE 2/81 06/12/49



NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH VICARAGE STREET(East side) Nuneaton The Old Grammar School

GII Former school,now parish room.Dated 1696;single-storey range rebuilt after 1941. Flemish bond brick with chamfered sandstone plinth,moulded cornice, parapet and plain pinnacles.Square tower to churchyard. Two storeys;one-window range. Mid C20 four-light painted wood mullioned windows.All windows throughout the building have brick flat arches with keystones. Left return side has C20 eight-panelled door,and 2-light casement above. Painted wood octagonal open cupola has ogee arches. Bell-cast lead roof. Elaborate wrought iron weather vane has gilded ball, scrollwork, and gilded lettering, flag vane and finial.Screen wall set back on left steps down in two stages, the upper with a quadrant curve.Round-arched doorway has keystone and imposts, and C20 eight-panelled door.Stone inscription panel above has moulded surround. Inscription records the founding of the school in 1596 and its rebuilding,and the names of the Receivers and Governors.Single-storey range behind has dentil cornice and plain-tile hipped roof.Four-window range to Vicarage Street.Interior not inspected. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p365)

Listing NGR: SP3653691678

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 308622

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 365

End of official listing