This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1116399



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lambeth

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 204400

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LAMBETH PALACE ROAD SE1 1. (east side) 5023 Lambeth Palace TQ 3079 2/585 19.10.51


2. Group of ecclesiastical, ceremonial, defensive and residential: buildings of varying periods. At north-west corner the Water or Lollards' Tower 1435, of Kentish Rag with ashlar quoins and a brick turret; the C17 Land's Tower added in similar material (but with some flint) to the south. East of this the C13 chapel, Reigate stone with Purbeck dressings, and its earlier C15 crypt with some original plaster. To the east, the residential apartments of circa 1835 in collegiate gothic style. South-west of these the guardroom, a circa 1835 rebuilding of a C14 building which retains much original woodwork in the roof. West of this the courtyard, and south of the courtyard the Great Hall (now library) 1660-63, a building of mixed styles whose baroque elevations of red brick and Portland stone frame late-gothic windows and whose hammer beam roof uses entirely classical decoration. To the south-west, Morton's Gatehouse and tower of circa 1490. Red brick with blue diapering and stone dressings. Good interior woodwork including a panelled room covered with C17 wall paintings.

Listing NGR: TQ3059479049

Selected Sources

Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

National Grid Reference: TQ 30607 79093


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116399 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 08:26:22.

End of official listing