CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1116427

Date first listed: 08-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, BRAMHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116427 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 11:32:47.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, BRAMHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Clifford

National Grid Reference: SE 42595 44126

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 4244-4344 CLIFFORD BRAMHAM ROAD LS23 (west side)

7/92 Church of St. Luke

GV II

Church. 1841-2 by Atkinson (Pevsner p.164). Ashlar magnesian limestone, graduated slate roof. Cruciform plan with west tower; in Gothic Revival style with lancet windows. Tower: 2 stages; tall lower stage has chamfered plinth with west doorway under shouldered lintel; clasping buttresses with moulded offsets, hollow arrises and offset tops; tall double-chamfered west window beneath shorter lancet with hoodmould. Cusped circular windows and string course beneath belfry stage having shafted arrises; continuous hoodmould to 2-light, louvred belfry openings with shafts and spandrel trefoils. Blind quatrefoils below corbel table to plain parapet with corner dies. Nave (south side): chamfered plinth, clasping west buttress on left of 2 double-chamfered windows; chamfered eaves band; shaped kneeler (on left), ashlar gable copings. North doorway with hoodmould to west of single lancet. Transepts have matching gables each with 2 windows under hoodmoulds with carved stops flanked by buttresses having offsets and gablets; hooded circular window beneath vesica; shaped kneelers and copings. Chancel: moulded sill to east window of 3, stepped lights with shafts and hoodmould with nailhead ornament; sill to gable trefoil; shaped kneelers and gable copings with apex cross. Flat-roofed vestries in angles with transepts and chancel have side doorways and 2-light east windows under shouldered heads. Interior: quadripartite vault at crossing on corbelled, arch-braced trusses. Octagonal stone font. Eamonson Charity board (1852) under tower. N. Pevsner,B.O.E., 1967 ed.

Listing NGR: SE4259544126

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342013

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 164

End of official listing