CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1116451

Date first listed: 22-Jul-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116451 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 21:22:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire (District Authority)

Parish: Newton Regis

National Grid Reference: SK 27919 07468

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON REGIS MAIN ROAD SK2ONE (South side) 2/68 Church of St Mary 22/07/53 - ll*

Church, Early C13 and mid C14. C14 tower; late C13/early C14 chancel; nave rebuilt, chancel remodelled and spire added mid C14 Late C14 chancel and C15 nave. Clerestorys restored 1905 and 1908 Sandstone ashlar. Roofs hidden by parapets with moulded cornices. Chancel, nave, west tower, south porch. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has splay plinth, Low but deep diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets. 5-light east window has late C13 cusped intersecting tracery with sill course. Shallow-pitched gable. Simple chamfered south doorway has plank door. Blocked segientai-arched doorway. Blocked low-side window. Round-arched double-chamfered 2-light window has Decorated tracery and deep splayed sill. Clerestory above original moulded cornice has straight-headed windows of 2 trefoiled lights to north and south. North side has buttress of 2 offsets. Windows have Y-tracery and deep splay sills, Eastern window has segmental arch; longer western window is blacked up and plastered, and has simple western arch. C18 fluted lead rainwater head. South parch has buttresses of 2 offsets flush with front and against nave wall. Doorway has arch of 2 chamfered orders with single deep splay jambs. Parapet and central gable. Return sides have 2-light cavetto-moulded mullion windows. Interior has pointed tunnel vault with transverse ribs. Simple moulded ogee south doorway with round-arched plank: door 3-light eastern window has reticulated tracery; 2-light western window has flowing tracery. Clerestory of 3-light and 2-light Perpendicular windows. Embattled parapet. North side has large east and central buttresses of 3 offsets. Bricked-up chamfered ogee doorway, Windows are similar to south side; western clerestory window has ogee arch. Some renewed tracery. Tower of 3 low stages with moulded string courses. Diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets have crocheted giblets. North-east buttress has squint to nave. First stage has C18 stepped battering to west. Small basket arch west window set in recess. Second stage has boarded-up slit lancet window and clock face. Third stage has chamfered 2-light bell-chamber openings with simple reticulated tracery. Embattled parapet. Octagonal spire has string course and 2 tiers of 2-light lucarnes, the lower tier with ogee gables. North side has a lancet to the first stage, Interior: chancel has cinquefoiled piscina. Eastern sepulchre recess has moulded arch. Chancel and nave have partly C15 Perpendicular roofs with moulded purlins and tie beams, and renewed rafters; chancel has renewed purlins, Chancel arch of 2 segmental pointed orders without imposts. Tower arch of one stepped End one chamfered order. Fittings: C18 fielded panelled pulpit. C18/early C19 Commandment board. C19 octagonal font. Stained glass: some medieval fragments. Monuments: early C14 coffin lid in chancel has elaborate shallow relief carving with effigy of a priest, attributes, 2 kneelinq acolytes, 2 angels and elaborate canopy. Chancel: Reverend John Guest. Late Cl7 wall monument with columns and angel. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp362-363; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol lV, pp162-164)

Listing NGR: SK2791907468

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 309303

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 162-164
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 362-63

End of official listing