ENGINE HOUSE NORTON THORPE MILLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1116680

Date first listed: 04-Nov-1994

Statutory Address: ENGINE HOUSE NORTON THORPE MILLS, CUTTLEHURST

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENGINE HOUSE NORTON THORPE MILLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116680 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 21:23:50.

Location

Statutory Address: ENGINE HOUSE NORTON THORPE MILLS, CUTTLEHURST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Denby Dale

National Grid Reference: SE 24643 10052

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added:- DENBY DALE SE21SW CUTTLEHURST, Scisset (East side) 554-/1/10003 Engine House Nortonthorpe Mills

GV II

Engine house. 1885-6. Built for Norton & Co Ltd. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofwith 2 circular metal ventilators and bracketed eaves with wooden guttering. Single storey. 5 windows. Main south-west facade has 5 large round headed openings with ashlar hoods, keystones and linking impost band. The central opening has a single glazed door with side lights, all these openings have renewed C20 glazing. A single similar round headed to the south-east. Interior. Retains its original 1885 Pollitt & Wigzell steam engine. It is ofa unique 3 piston rod tandem, compound condensing design made solely by Pollitt & Wigzell, and this is the only known'surviving long stroke example. It was originally named Empress, but after being overhauled in 1906 it was re-named Violet after the birth of the owner, G H Norton's daughter.

Listing NGR: SE2464310052

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 442903

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing