This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SWINEFORD COPPER MILLS INCLUDING WATERWHEELS AND MACHINERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SWINEFORD COPPER MILLS INCLUDING WATERWHEELS AND MACHINERY

List entry Number: 1116761

Location

SWINEFORD COPPER MILLS INCLUDING WATERWHEELS AND MACHINERY, BATH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bitton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Sep-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 28487

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5118 BITTON BATH ROAD (south side) Swineford Swineford Copper Mills including waterwheels and machinery ST 66 NE 6/100 4.9.74 II 2. Important industrial complex. Copper Mills founded by John Freeman and Co and dated 1840. Converted to a flock mill in 1860s. The foundation of the Copper Mill is C18 and some remains may date from before 1840. There are 2 main blocks, their purpose is now difficult to ascertain as they have been used for a number of processes during their history. Main block: Early C19 in appearance, but dated 1840. Coursed rubble with dressed quoins and ashlar parapet. River front has 2 storeys, 3 windows, glazing bar casements in elliptical heads with brick dressings. Large blocked doors on each floor to right. Hipped pantile roof. Probably earlier ( late C18) wing adjoins to rear. Two storeys, 3 windows, on ground floor moulded mid-C19 long mullion windows with cornices (altered). Pantiled roof with brick stacks. Secondary block: Plaque inscribed "Swineford Copper Mills J F and Co MDCCCXL". Coursed rubble with brick dressings. Single storey. Various openings. Pantile roof. Five gabled extensions to rear 3 with cut finial saddlestones, one hipped. The machinery includes 2 probably original waterwheels and shafting from the flock mill. Two ashlar projection to left of front for the watercourses. Mill owners cottage and small outbuilding to south not included.

Listing NGR: ST6905768975

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 69057 68975

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:31:47.

End of official listing