This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1116762



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bitton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Jul-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 28489

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/11/2012

ST 77 SW 5/25 5118 BITTON BEACH Beach Farmhouse


It is said to be after 1643, 'L'-plan, though probably late C17/early C18. Rendered over rubble, stone quoins. Modern pantile roof, end gables with copings, tall ashlar stacks with caps. Two dormer gables with saddle stones to front. Two and a half storeys, 3 windows, 2 and 3-light stone mullioned casements with dripmoulds. Central door opening with plain door in wooden frame. It is probable that this typical symmetrical late C17 elevation is a C19 restoration of something very similar. Long gabled extension wing to rear with square stack and 2-light stone mullioned windows with dripmoulds. A shorter one bay two and a half storey extension runs parallel. Interior: one original stop chamfer door surround in rear extension, 4 bay roof to main section, end trusses formed by collars supported on dormer walls. The house occupies the site of and possibly incorporates part of the farm burnt on this site at the Battle of Lansdown 1643.

Listing NGR: ST7153070636

Selected Sources

Battlefields Register,

National Grid Reference: ST 71530 70636


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116762 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:10:09.

End of official listing