PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1116822

Date first listed: 11-May-1953

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, COURT FARM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116822 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 09:13:00.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, COURT FARM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hanham Abbots

National Grid Reference: ST 64968 70274

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5118 HANHAM ABBOTS COURT FARM ROAD Hanham Green Parish Church of St George ST 67 SW 3/79 11.5.53 II* 2. C14 with earlier fragments and C15 West Tower (attached to Hanham Court). Restored 1854 by Pope, Poindon and Clarke; 1909, extensively, by Bligh Bond. Pennant stone rubble with freestone dressings. Tile roof with bands of fishscale tiles. Three bay nave, 2 bay chancel, south aisle, north porch, west tower of 3 stages, pierced parapet, pinnacles and corner gargoyles. Perpendicular bell-chamber windows of 2-lights with foiled heads. Nave, chancel and aisle windows mostly restored in Perpendicular style. Porch has C14 arch, original roof and C14 enrichments to doorway (crocketted arch with finials and niche). Interior: main features are Norman font and good C13 pillar piscina both thought to come from Keynsham Abbey; plastered waggon roof in aisle, the east end of which may have been a Lady Chapel (see Verey/Pevsner: "Buildings of Englands, Gloucestershire - The Vale").

Listing NGR: ST6493670269

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 28681

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

End of official listing