CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1116858

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1965

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116858 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 13:29:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon (District Authority)

Parish: Defford

National Grid Reference: SO 91726 43212

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEFFORD SO 94 SW

648/13/278 Church of St James 11.2.65

II*

Anglican church. C13 nave, C14 tower, C17/18 and early C19 alterations, 1868 chancel, late C19-early C20 belfry. Coursed stone rubble with freestone dressings; ashlar tower with timber-framed belfry. Plain tile roof with gabled ends with stone coping. PLAN: 2-cell church with west tower; C13 nave, tower added or rebuilding of earlier tower in C14; gallery built at west end of nave early C19; chancel rebuilt 1868; belfry rebuilt late C19/early C20. Timber-framed south porch of uncertain date. EXTERIOR: Nave has 2-lightwindows with segmental heads to lights, the north windows restored; south doorway with segmental arch with carved female head re-used as keystone and hoodmould; timber- framed south porch; blocked north doorway now a window. Chancel has lancets to north and south, 3- light east window with Perpendicular style tracery and buttresses with set-offs. Ashlar west tower with diagonal buttresses with set-offs and Decorated west window with cusped reticulated tracery. I NTERIOR: Plastered walls, nave ceiled and with old plaster and exposed wall-plate; moulded cambered tie-beam [or rood] across nave; between the windows in south wall are projecting buttress features with finials. Victorian chancel arch on colonettes with stiff-leaf capitals; moulded corbel high up in west end of nave. Gallery at west end of nave with fielded-panel front. Unmoulded round tower arch. Medieval collar-rafter nave roof with cranked collars and curved braces. Painted Commandment and alms boards in vestry under tower. Victorian furnishings and early C20 stained glass in east window. SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.130.

Listing NGR: SO9172643212

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 442719

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 130

End of official listing