EARLSGATE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1117011

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: EARLSGATE FARMHOUSE, WEST END

Map

Ordnance survey map of EARLSGATE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117011 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 04:03:03.

Location

Statutory Address: EARLSGATE FARMHOUSE, WEST END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Winteringham

National Grid Reference: SE 93083 22201

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 9222-9322 WINTERINGHAM WEST END (south side) 8/45 Earls gate Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse, now house. Right wing with keystone inscribed S built for E A 1683 Edward and Anne Shankster. Left section probably mid-late C18 re-fronting of earlier build. C19-20 alterations and 1984 outshut to front. Red brick, right wing rendered; squared limestone to rear and limestone rubble plinth to left gable end. C20 pantile roof, brick stacks. L-shaped on plan: 4-room range with 2-room front wing to right and outshut in angle. 2 storeys, 3-bay symmetrical entrance front to left and single-bay outshut and projecting wing to right. Chamfered plinth to right wing. 6-fielded-panel door and plain overlight under rubbed-brick cambered arch, flanked by early C20 unequal sashes with decorative glazing bars to upper sash in original flush wooden surrounds under rubbed brick arches. Wing to right has projecting central section with similar ground floor sash under stone wedge lintel. Similar sashes to first floor: 3 to left with lintels at eaves level, one to wing under stone wedge lintel with raised inscribed keystone. Outshut (replacing a similar earlier addition) has a casement to each floor with glazing bars of a similar pattern to sashes. Plain C20 eaves board. Roof hipped to front of wing; stone-coped gable with shaped kneeler to left. Wide lateral double stack to right return with a projecting bay window between flues and twin C19 chimneys; C19 end stack to left. Left gable end has 3-course moulded brick band with two recessed rectangular panels above containing raised brick roundels. Interior: fine mid-late C18 open well closed-string staircase with moulded handrail and close-strutted Chinese Chippendale balustrade. D Neave (ed), Winteringham 1650-1750, 1984, 53-6.

Listing NGR: SE9308322201

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 442394

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Neave, D , Winteringham 1650-1760, (1984), 53-6

End of official listing