This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1117102

Location

CHURCH OF ST PAUL, DURNFORD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Plymouth

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 473358

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PLYMOUTH

SX4653NW DURNFORD STREET, Stonehouse 740-1/65/773 (East side) 25/01/54 Church of St Paul

GV II*

Anglican church. 1831 by John Foulston, extended at E end 1890 by Hine & Odgers. Coursed Plymouth limestone rubble with limestone dressings; dry slate roof with moulded copings. Gothic style. PLAN: aisle-less plan with W gallery and central W tower plus slightly wider later chancel at the E end. EXTERIOR: 3-bay W front with moulded pediment interrupted by 2-stage central tower with angle buttresses and moulded strings; moulded parapet and octagonal corner pinnacles with moulded cornices and crocketed finials; similar pinnacles surmounting buttressed corners of the church. Central moulded pointed-arched doorway. 7-bay nave N and S walls have lancet windows with hoodmoulds between flat buttresses and linking strings. INTERIOR: moulded plaster ceiling cornice with dentils to nave; chancel with arch-braced roof structure; L-plan staircase with stick balusters and octagonal newels. Fittings include octagonal marble font and panelled pews to gallery, otherwise later pitch-pine fittings and altered to W end in the late C20. Glass: leaded glazing with coloured hammered glass of later C19 date. Stands in a little altered Late Georgian street, and represents a significant example (particularly externally) of the work of a prominent local architect. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 645).





Listing NGR: SX4642453757

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 645

National Grid Reference: SX 46424 53757

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117102 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 07:34:37.

End of official listing