This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SULHAMSTEAD HOUSE THAMES VALLEY POLICE TRAINING COLLEGE THAMES VALLEY POLICE TRAINING COLLEGE (SULHAMSTEAD HOUSE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SULHAMSTEAD HOUSE THAMES VALLEY POLICE TRAINING COLLEGE THAMES VALLEY POLICE TRAINING COLLEGE (SULHAMSTEAD HOUSE)

List entry Number: 1117110

Location

SULHAMSTEAD HOUSE
THAMES VALLEY POLICE TRAINING COLLEGE
THAMES VALLEY POLICE TRAINING COLLEGE (SULHAMSTEAD HOUSE)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: West Berkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Sulhamstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 40018

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SULHAMSTEAD SULHAMSTEAD SU 66 NW 3/38 Thames Valley Police Training 25.10.51 College (Sulhamstead House) G.V. II

House, now police training centre. 1748, rebuilt in the early C19 with further alterations in 1852 and 1910. Painted stucco with hipped slate roofs. Central 3 storey 3 bay block with set back 2 storey wings. Plinth, first floor cill band, cornice, coped parapet, and paired end stacks to central block and wings. Central 2 storey, 3 bay tetrastyle Ionic portico with triangular pediment. Lead downpipes and rainwater heads. 9 bays; glazing bar sashes with architraves and cornices. Central enclosed porch and two 3-panelled doors with bracketed cornice. Rear similar without portico. North-east front of 4 bays. Low early C19 additions to south-west. Interior: largely 1910. Early C18 style panelled entrance hall with coupled Doric pilasters, screen of coupled Doric columns, and bifurcating staircase with balcony on to central landing. Other rooms with early C18 style panelling, fireplaces, and plaster ceilings. V.C.H. (Berks), Vol.3, pp. 306-7; B.O.E. (Berks), p.232.

Listing NGR: SU6410869302

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 306-307
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 232

National Grid Reference: SU 64108 69302

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:06:57.

End of official listing