GARSTON LOCK AT SU 656708

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1117125

Date first listed: 06-Dec-1990

Statutory Address: GARSTON LOCK AT SU 656708

Map

Ordnance survey map of GARSTON LOCK AT SU 656708
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117125 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 04:43:22.

Location

Statutory Address: GARSTON LOCK AT SU 656708

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Burghfield

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Theale

National Grid Reference: SU 65582 70746

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:-

BURGHFIELD SU 67 SE KENNET & AVON CANAL

2/2 Garston Lock at SU 656708

GV II The grade shall be amended to II*

This lock was added to the statutory list on 6th December 1990 (lst Amendment of 59th List refers).

------------------------------------ BURGHFIELD KENNET & AVON CANAL SU 67 SE 2/2 Garston Lock at SU 656708 GV II Lock. Early C18 origins, enlarged mid C18, C20 alterations. Turf-sided chamber with sides protected by framework of GWR broad gauge brick rails which also support a solid lower wall of Welsh slate. Chamber becomes brick at gates and continues into brick wing walls with brick coping. 2 sets of double wooden gates, top gates with mechanical gate paddle gearing, bottom gates with hydraulic gate paddle gearing. The Kennet Navigation was established by 1724 and acquired by the Kennet & Avon Canal Co in 1812. John Hore was engineer to the Navigation. John Rennie was engineer to the Canal.

Listing NGR: SU6558270746

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 40058

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing