Church of St. Mary


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Church Street, Kintbury


Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117242.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 00:54:35.


Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Church Street, Kintbury

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 38327 67005


SU 36 NE 12/20


(Formerly listed under Kintbury)



Church. Originally C12, Tower C13, restored extensively 1850 and 1880 by Bodley and Garner. Flint with Bath stone dressings, mainly rendered except on chancel, part of tower and south porch. South transept brick with Bath stone dressings. Tiled roof with stone coped gable parapets. Cruciform plan with west tower and south porch.

Tower: Square with corner buttresses, three short stages with stone string courses and gargoyles at parapet base. Top stage of chequer pattern stone and flint on south face with clock face over louvre. West door in Norman-style with billet and chevron moulds. Sundial on south west buttress.

Nave: C19, Decorated-style windows flanking C19 Norman-style south porch.

South transept: C18 rebuild in brick, parapet with stone string and coping, three-light Decorated-style window under two-centred arched drip mould.

Chancel: C19 Decorated-style windows flanking central door.

Interior: simple five bay painted C19 roof to Nave and three bay Chancel. North transept has pair of marble pyramidal monuments on east wall with busts in classical Roman style to Jemmet Raymond 1767 and Sir Jemmet Raymond of Barton 1754. Surmounted by a bracketed cornice with busts flanking an urn and hanging drapery. To north of Chancel Arch in Nave is a white marble monument on black ground, a rectangular panel with cornice and urn surmount, to Charles Dundas Baron Amesbury 1832, ground inscribed "Patent Works Westminster" to south of Chancel Arch in Nave is rectangular gothic-style marble monument to Rev. Fulwar Craven Fowle 1840. To north of Chancel Arch in Chancel is monument to Philip Emnett esq. 1678, a black oval panel surrounded by white carved flowers, fruit and swags with a cherub's head at the base and surmounted by two cherubs flanking a scutcheon with ribbon scroll between deaths heads beneath a crested helm. South wall of chancel has brass to John and Alice Gunter of 1624, two figures above inscription panel. Three C18 memorial tablets on west wall of south transept. Painted and gilded carved timber reredos in gothic-style central panel depicting crucifixion flanked by double panels with painted central scutcheons all surmounted by carved cornice. Tower has re-used C17 stair with turned balusters leading to gallery.

Listing NGR: SU3832767005


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 214-216
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 162
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/06155/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Alan Rosevear. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].