Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117257.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 12:48:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


SJ 56 SE 6/17 6.4.67

WASING WASING PARK Church Of St.Nicholas


Church. C13, C15, with C18 refacing and additions, including west porch dated 1761 west window of 1826, and south transept dated 1839. Restored in 1875. Roughcast with stone dressings, tiled roofs, C18 dormer on north side of nave; weatherboarded bellcote centrally on nave with louvred openings on all faces, pyramidal tile roof and weathervane. Nave, west porch, south transept, chancel and vestry. West porch: gabled with coped parapet and doorway with moulded semi-circular arch, impost blocks, and keystone in square head. Nave: west end has semi-circular arched doorway with door of probably 1875 blank semi-circular arched window in gable above with architrave, impost blocks and keystone. South side has 2 semi-circular arched windows to west with architraves, impost blocks and keystones, and one window to east with 2 ogee lights under a segmental head. North side has 2 arched windows as south, to west; to east a C15 window with 2 cusped ogee lights under a segmental head, and an early C16 window with 3 cusped lights under a square head. South transept: C20 door to west with moulded surround and flat hood, large semi-circular arch to south with dated keystone, smaller but similar window to east with architrave, impost blocks and keystone. Chancel: 2 bays, south side has two 2-light windows with cusped heads, that to right restored early C14, that to left C19. East end has triple shafted lancets with hood moulds, probably of 1875. Early C13 vestry and single lancet of 1875 to north. Interior: nave has old tie beams; moulded plaster decoration around windows probably of 1875, C19 font, Cl7 octagonal pulpit; Flemish and German C16 glass, some of 1649, and Moses probably of 1835. Chancel has moulded arch of 1875 with granite columns foliated capitals and hood mould with caved stops; C13 lancet with toothed rear arch, leading to vestry. V.C.H. Vo1.4. pp.115-116. B.O.E.Berkshire. p.259.

Listing NGR: SU5759964271


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 115-116
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 259


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07084/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].