This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GATEHOUSE AND FLANKING BLOCKS AT DOUAI SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATEHOUSE AND FLANKING BLOCKS AT DOUAI SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1117269

Location

GATEHOUSE AND FLANKING BLOCKS AT DOUAI SCHOOL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: West Berkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Woolhampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 39689

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOOLHAMPTON UPPER WOOLHAMPTON SU 56 NE 3/14 Gatehouse And Flanking Blocks At Douai School

GV II

Gatehouse and flanking school buildings. 1893-5 by F A Walters in a neo-Gothic style. Red brick with stone dressings, plinth, corbel table and coped battle- mented parapet; roof not visible. Free Perpendicular style. Gatehouse tower: 3 storeys. First and second floor windows with 2 cusped lights, those on second floor arched with hoodmoulds, flanking 2 canopied niches with figures. Central moulded 4-centered archway with hoodmould, and carved coats of arms to each side above. 2 short brick walls projecting to each side with stone coping, square piers, and finials with carved coats of arms topped by lamps. Left-hand block: red brick with stone dressings and brick cill course; tiled roof with central ridge stack and parapetted gabled semi-dormer to left with casement. 2 1/2 storeys. Three 2-light windows on each floor; first floor 2-light 4-centered arched window to left with transom and Y-tracery. Right-hand block: red brick with cill courses; tiled roof, and 2 gables with planted timbers and casements. 2 storeys and attic. 2 canted bays rising to first floor with coped parapets, and mullioned and transomed windows. These buildings were built originally for St. Mary's College. BOE; Berkshire, p. 312; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p. 156.

Listing NGR: SU5773668008

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 312
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 156

National Grid Reference: SU 57736 68008

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117269 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:14:06.

End of official listing