This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RANGE APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES TO NORTH OF GATEHOUSE AT DOUAI SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RANGE APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES TO NORTH OF GATEHOUSE AT DOUAI SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1117270

Location

RANGE APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES TO NORTH OF GATEHOUSE AT DOUAI SCHOOL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: West Berkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Woolhampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 39693

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOOLHAMPTON UPPER WOOLHAMPTON SU 56 NE 3/11 Range Approximately 50 Metres To North Of Gatehouse At Douai School

GV II

School cloister. 1884 and 1888 by F.A. Walters in a Free Tudor-Gothic style; top storey of circa 1910 on wing to left. Red brick with stone dressings, plinth, string courses at cill levels. Tiled roof with central ridge stack, gabled dormer to left with casements; belfry to right with 2 string courses, battlemented parapet, clock to east with hoodmould and louvred arch to north with hoodmould. T-plan. East front: 2 storeys and attic; 12 bays, leaded windows with 2 arched lights in square heads and returned hoodmoulds. Doorway in third bay from left with 4-centred arch and returned hoodmould with carved stops; doorway in sixth bay from left with moulded 4-centred arch in square head with carved spandrels, returned hoodmould with carved stops extending over flanking one-light windows. Left-hand wing: red brick with stone dress- ings, plinth, string courses, coped parapet with stone corbelling and tiled roof with 4 stacks. 3 storeys. Left-hand return wall: 3 bays, first floor cross windows, second floor arched 2-light windows with square heads and returned hoodmoulds. Doorway to left with 4-centred arch and returned hoodmould. Ori- ginally built for St. Mary's College. BOE, Berkshire, p. 312; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p. 156.

Listing NGR: SU5774068066

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 312
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 156

National Grid Reference: SU 57740 68066

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117270 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 06:39:43.

End of official listing