Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1117302

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117302 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 06:12:13.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brimpton

National Grid Reference: SU 55731 64704


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BRWPXY SU 56SE 6/5 Church of St. Peter 6.4.67

- II

Church. 1869 - 72 by John Johnson in a Neo-Gothic style. Flint with stone dressings, plinth, parapetted gables with footstones, kneelers and coping; tile roof and shingled spire. Rich Decorated style with hood moulds throughout. West tower and spire, nave and aisles, south aisle chapel, south porch, north transeptal chapel chancel and vestry. West tower: 3 stages with angle buttresses, broach spire and weathervane. Heavily moulded west doorway with ballflower ornament, 3-light window above, 2-light bell chamber openings on all faces, and clocks to north and south. Gabled timber south porch on low walls with arched bracing and decorated barge- boards. South aisle: south door with simple 2 centered moulded arch. 3-light window to right, west end with traceried lancet and diagonal buttress. South aisle chapel to east of 2 bays, 2-light windows with ogee tracery; east end has ogee doorway with caved tympanum and hood mould with carved finial, rose window above with cinquefoil tracery. North aisle: two 2-light windows, diagonal buttresses and lancet with plate tracery to west. North transeptal chapel: 3-light north window, quatrefoil above in gable end, and diagonal buttresses. Chancel: 3-light east window and 2-light windows to north and south. Vest : rose window to east and lancet to north. Interior: Nave: 3 bay arcades to north and south with octagonal marble piers, foliated capitals and chamfered arches with hood moulds and stops. Arch braced roof with foliated corbels. North transept: shafted north window with moulded capitals and braces. Chancel: chamfered chancel arch on short columns corbelled out on carved heads. Shafted east window with moulded capitals and bases, cusped rear arch with hood mould and carved stops. 2-light opening to organ chamber to north with central marble shaft and cusped arches, quatrefoil in tympanum, and ballflower ornament. Window sedilia to south. Contemporary octagonal stone pulpit and wooden lectern. Square stone font with quatrefoil panels on 4 marble columns. V.C.H.Vol.4. p.54, B.O.E.Berkshire, p,l03.

Listing NGR: SU5573164704


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39564

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 54
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 103

End of official listing