NORTH EAST LODGES AND GATES TO ALDERMASTON COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1117332

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: NORTH EAST LODGES AND GATES TO ALDERMASTON COURT, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTH EAST LODGES AND GATES TO ALDERMASTON COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117332 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 06:21:55.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTH EAST LODGES AND GATES TO ALDERMASTON COURT, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Aldermaston

National Grid Reference: SU 59136 65086

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALDERMASTON THE STREET (south side) SU 5965 10/26 North-East Lodges And 25.10.51 Gates To Aldermaston Court

GV II*

2 lodges with gates between, once one house. Lodges: circa 1636. Red brick with plinths, moulded string courses, parapets with shaped gables to north, each with recessed square panel; old tile roofs, each with ridge stack to rear. One recessed 8-light leaded mullioned and transomed window on each floor to north, entrances at sides with 4-panelled doors. Gates and piers: early C18. 2 rusti- cated brick piers with stone plinths and copings with ball finials. 2 exuberant wrought iron gates with overthrow. The lodges once formed part of a U-plan house from which the centre has been removed. The wrought iron gates came from Midgham House in early C19. VCH, Vol 3, p.387; BOE, Berkshire, p.62; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p.113.

Listing NGR: SU5913665086

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39532

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 387
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 62
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 113

End of official listing