This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BARKER'S ALMSHOUSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARKER'S ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1117404

Location

BARKER'S ALMSHOUSES, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wokingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Nicholas, Hurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Oct-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41228

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 77SE ST NICHOLAS HURST CHURCH HILL (south side)

5/15 Barker's Almshouses (Formerly listed as 1.8.52 Hurst Almshouses)

GV II Almshouses. Dated 1664, brick, narrow brick string over ground floor windows, hipped old tile roof, 2 symmetrical chimneys on main block, cruciform on plan. 2 storeys. North front has 7 bays, 6 semi-dormer windows with 3-light lattice leaded casements and hipped old tile roof with lead ridges.Below each semi-dormer is a similar but larger 3-light casement in wooden frame.In centre bay a ledged door with board hood and string broken up to form drip, and above a stone inscription panel with stone cartouche over carried up into the roof.Inscription:- "The hospital for the Maintenance of eight poor persons each at 6d.per diem for ever was Erected and Founded in ye year 1664 at the sole charge of WILLIAM BARKER of Hurst in the county of Wilts.Esq, who died on ye 25th March, 1685 and lyes buried in the South Chancel of this Parish Henry Fairfax Esq. His Newphew and Heire M.P." Interior is of no special interest. VCH p.248 B.O.E.Berkshire p.210

Listing NGR: SU7949272929

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 248
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 210

National Grid Reference: SU 79491 72930

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117404 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:23:50.

End of official listing