BILL HILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1117412

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: BILL HILL, TWYFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BILL HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117412 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 19:33:32.

Location

Statutory Address: BILL HILL, TWYFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Nicholas, Hurst

National Grid Reference: SU8052471241

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 87 SW 6/17 1.8.52

ST NICHOLAS HURST TWYFORD ROAD (west side) Bill Hill

GV II

Large country house. C18 altered C19. Brick, stone plinth, stone strings at floor levels and stone pilasters at outer corners of south front, wood bracketed cornice, slate roof. 3 storeys. South front:- Main block of 5 bays flanked by later projecting one storey wings. Main block has plain stone string at first floor level, and moulded string at second floor carried round corner pilasters. Sash windows with glazing bars, segmental headed on ground and first floors, the centre first floor window with stone surround swept out and carried down to first floor string, remaining first floor windows have fluted stone key blocks with second floor string broken forward over each; half glazed central double door, 3 pane rectangular fanlight, in doorcase of fluted Doric pilasters, entablature with architrave swept up in centre into frieze, cornice broken forward over pilasters and in centre, and broken segmental pediment with unicorn in centre. Flanking wings are one storey, brick plinth, moulded stone cornice string and small blocking course, and 3 tall sash windows. North front: 5 bays plum coloured brick with red dressings, tall windows on ground floor, ground and first floor windows sashes with glazing bars, segmental headed, and glazed central door, rectangular fanlight with lead radiating and wreathed glazing. Interior: Ground floor has been altered in C19 but retains a C18 stone staircase with wrought and cast iron balustrade and moulded mahogany handrail. The house was first owned by Sir Montague (later Lord) Blundell. Sold in 1734 to Lady Harold who married the first Earl Gower in 1736. She built the stables and added to the house, which continued in her family who added the large C19 extensions, now pulled down. B.O.E. Berkshire p.210.

Listing NGR: SU8052471241

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41251

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 210

End of official listing