Church of St Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1117524
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1955
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, High Street, Hurley

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117524.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:34:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, High Street, Hurley

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hurley
National Grid Reference:
SU 82588 84073

Details

SU 88 SW 5/177

HURLEY HIGH STREET Church of St Mary

25.3.55

GV II*

Part of the Benedictine priory, now the parish church. C12, altered C15, restored 1852 by Hakewill. Flint, chalk, Caen stone, tile, coped gabled roof. Continuous nave and chancel, and a timber bell turret at the west end.

Nave; north side: four round-headed C12 windows with original splayed inner jambs; the second from the west is C19. Between the second and third windows from the west end is a blocked round-headed doorway of two square orders, with quirked chamfered abaci at the springing of the head. South side: six round-headed C12 windows similar to those on the north wall. Under the third window from the west is a round-headed doorway mostly of C19. Stonework externally.

West end: round-headed doorway: C12, much restored, two orders, the outer order having elaborate chevron enrichment, and carried upon shafted jambs with scalloped capitals and quirked chamfered abaci, C19 hood mould. Above the doorway is a C19 round-headed window with C12 jambs. On the apex of the gable is a wooden bell turret with louvred sides and a tile hipped roof surmounted with a cross. Large clasping buttresses projecting from each corner.

Chancel, north side: three C12 round-headed windows with original splayed inner jambs. The easternmost window is blocked by The Cloisters (listed separately 17/10) adjoining on the north. East side: two round-headed windows with a small circular window above. These may be C12 but have C19 external stonework. South side: three windows, the two easternmost similar to those in the north wall and the third is early C14 with two trefoiled ogee lights with reticulated tracery under a pointed head. Below this window is a small ogee-headed recess, with sunk spandrels forming a square outline, with moulded jambs. To the right of this is a C19 priest's doorway.

Interior: fine early C15 octagonal font tapering towards the bottom with sides of traceried panelling with small buttresses at the angles.

Monuments: against the north wall of the chancel is an early C17 monument to John Lovelace of Ladye Place, d. 1558, and his wife d. 1579. It consists of a large strapwork panel, formerly containing an inscription; flanked by detached Ionic columns supporting an entablature above which is a second stage divided into three panels by small Doric columns. At the foot are two male figures dressed in Elizabethan costume.

Listing NGR: SU8258884073

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
40909
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 157
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 157
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 04/02/2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01412/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr AS Heywood - Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].