CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1117570

Date first listed: 22-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117570 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 23:29:52.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Cookham

National Grid Reference: SU 87137 85115

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 88 NE COOKHAM CHURCH ROAD (east side) Cookham Dean

2/13 Church of St. John the Baptist

II

Parish Church: 1849 by R. C. Carpenter in an early C14 style. South chapel added c1866. Flint with stone dressings; slate gabled and coped roof. Nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch and bellcote. Plinth, angled and square buttresses. Timber gabled porch with cusping and carved bargeboard. South front: 2-light windows with cusped tracery with square heads and labels on aisle. Similar but with 2-centred arch on south chapel, with mask and foliage labels. East front: 3-light window with reticulated tracery. West front: 2-light Window with cusped tracery. Interior: plain, white. 4 bay nave, arch braced collar roof. 2 bay chancel, similar roof but with thin arched wind braces to side purlins. 4 bay arcade to south aisle with alternate round and octagonal columns, moulded capitals and bases. Stained glass window of 1893 in north wall by Kempe.

B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.123.

Listing NGR: SU8713785115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 40822

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 123

End of official listing