This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1117684



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Windsor and Maidenhead

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 40600

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/09/2016

SU 97 NE 8/247

VANSITTART ROAD Church of St Stephen

II 1874 by Henry Woodyer. Very plain but large stock brick church, no tower. Tall clerestory, low windows to aisles. These windows have on the inside detached shafts set in front. Tall simple nave arcades, chancel with apse. Imposing reredos with croaketed gable over figure of Christ, flanked by paired shafts with rings.

A war memorial in the form of a hooded timber Calvary with a painted carved figure of Christ erected on 12 March 1918, is attached to an outside wall. The top arm of the cross has a small white painted scroll with INRI on it. To the right of the cross, set into the church wall, is a slate plaque which is inscribed: THIS CALVARY/ WAS DEDICATED IN 1918/ TO THE MEMORY OF/ ALL THOSE FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO SERVED THEIR COUNTRY/ AND THOSE WHO DID NOT RETURN./ IT WAS RESTORED IN 2013.

Listing NGR: SU9596776878

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.

Selected Sources

War Memorials Online, accessed 26 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 26 October 2017 from

National Grid Reference: SU 95967 76878


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117684 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 07:26:03.

End of official listing