THE TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1117752

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Statutory Address: THE TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117752 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 03:09:06.

Location

Statutory Address: THE TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 96823 76831

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. HIGH STREET. 5130 (East Side) The Town Hall SU 9676 NE 3/37 4.1.50. GV 2. Date uncertain, probably 1686. Designed by Sir Christopher Wren. The original building consists of a 2-storey rectangle, open on ground floor. The ground floor is of stone, with 6-bay front to west with chamfered rusticated angle piers and 3/4 engaged Doric columns, between openings, supporting entablature with curved frieze, which is carried round building. The upper part brick with stone entablature and 6 windows with stone architrave and cills. The principal decoration is on the south front which has 3 arched openings (3 central arches) between the angle piers on ground floor, and Corinthian pilasters on upper part supporting entablature and pediment. The 2 upper windows have stone aprons with richly carved swags and drops, flanking a central stone niche with elaborate cartouche to base and statue of Prince George of Denmark. The north front repeats this general design but with swag and drop ornament to base of niche which has a statue of Queen Anne. The building was extended 2 bays to the east in 1829, repeating the general design of the older part. Nos 46 to 50 (consec) No 1 Castle Hill Market Cross House, The Town Hall form a group.

Listing NGR: SU9682376831

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 40467

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing