EYTHROPE PAVILION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1117798

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1985

Statutory Address: EYTHROPE PAVILION

Map

Ordnance survey map of EYTHROPE PAVILION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117798 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 22:00:12.

Location

Statutory Address: EYTHROPE PAVILION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Waddesdon

National Grid Reference: SP 76953 13748

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 71 SE WADDESDON EYTHROPE

7/111 Eythrope Pavilion

-

- II

House. 1876-79, much extended to north 1950s and altered c. 1990. Original building by George Devey for Alice de Rothschild. Red and vitreous brick, ashlar dressings steeply pitched tiled roofs. Style combines French and English Renaissance features. Plinth, moulded cornice on Tuscan pilasters with ornamental capitals and carved lugs, panelled brick parapet with stone pilasters and ball finials. Tudor chimneys with variously patterned circular and octagonal shafts. One storey and attic, 3 bays.

EXTERIOR: Canted projection to left of E. front has ornamental gable with carved stone pilaster strips and friezes, flanking scrolls and carved lion finial. Right bay has more curvilinear gable with scrolls, segmental pediment and ball finials. To ground floor of right bay is a semi-circular bay window with stone balustrade. Stone mullion and transom windows with central arched lights. Centre bay has 3 stone architrave arches with keyblocks, the central arch with door and flanking columns. To centre of S. front is a 2-storey semi-circular bay window breaking through the eaves, with a tall spire above. To left a large 3-light Mullion and transom window inserted c. 1990, with small side arch to loggia beyond. W. front has ornamental gable to left,2-storey bay window to centre,semi circular chimney with two tall projecting brick stacks added c.1990, arched loggia to right of attic and attic windows in French oeil-de-boeuf dormers.

INTERIORS: Contains imported late-eighteenth centuary French 'boiserie' panels in the former Blue Dining Room and in the Dining Room. This latter room also containf imported late- eighteenth century French panels. Simple Classic style interior decoration in the main reception rooms and French style marble fire plces. Curved staircase with iron balustrade inserted c. 1950.

HISTORY: BEcause the proximity of the river was considered a health hazard, especailly at night, the original building was designed as a day pavillion with living rooms, kitchen and housekeeper's rooms but no other bedrooms, Alice de Rothschild always spending the nioght at Waddesdon Manor.



Listing NGR: SP7695313748

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 42257

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing