This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OVING HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OVING HOUSE

List entry Number: 1117811

Location

OVING HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Oving

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42185

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 72 SE OVING THE VILLAGE

2/36 Oving House

25.10.51

GV II*

Mansion. Originally C17, completely remodelled and enlarged 1741-43 for Charles Pilsworth, with later C18 wings to sides and interior re-styled circa 1954. S. front is of red brick headers, formerly rendered, with moulded stone plinth and stone first floor band courses and copings to parapet. N. front is of dressed stone, some render remaining to east. Roofs are mostly tiled but slated to centre of N. pitch. Brick chimneys. 2 storeys,cellars and attic. S. front originally of 5 bays with a hipped roof and re-sited stone statues to parapet. 3 centre bays project slightly and have pediment with moulded stone dressings and round window. These bays have 3-pane sash windows with moulded stone architrave surrounds and accentuated keyblocks. Outer bays have Serlian windows to ground floor, thermal windows above, and basement windows with segmental heads and keyblocks, all with plain stone surrounds. Central glazed doors with large rectangular fanlight, in stone doorcase with Doric pilasters and entablature. Doors give on to central terrace approached by 6 moulded stone steps with late C19 cast iron railings. Side wings are of 4 bays to left and 3 to right, and have 3-pane sashes, those to first floor smaller. N. front is also of 5 bays but more irregular, the outer bays gabled and projecting, the centre bays and inner return walls with parapet. 3-pane sash windows, the left bay having 2 to each floor with small stone cornices, partly restored. Round windows to attic in gables. Central 6-panelled door below segmentally arched fanlight with intersecting glazing bars. Wooden doorcase with panelled reveals, architrave arch, flanking Doric half-columns and entablature. Stone wall attached to left links with stables. Brick wall to right links with small rubble stone block forming courtyard with side wing. Centre of this wall has brick gate piers with carved stone finials added c.1954. Interior: good mid C18 staircase with fluted column newel posts, moulded handrail, carved scrolls to string and 3 elegant turned balusters to each tread. Fine mid C18 plaster ceiling with elaborate rococo motifs, possibly by Thomas Roberts of Oxford, in central ground floor room to south. This room and another to east retain C18 plaster cornices and doorcases. W. room has C18 plaster overmantel with painted panel and swan-neck pediment. C18 plaster panel with profile of Mrs. Pilsworth has been slightly altered and re-sited in hall. Plain later C18 panelling in N.E. ground floor room. N. room on first floor has good early C18 bolection panelling and C17 carved panel overmantel. Another room with similar overmantel and early C17 panelling with carved friezes, altered. S. rooms have been much embellished c. 1954 by Felix Harbord in mid C18 style, the central room with drops copied from Harleyford Manor.

Listing NGR: SP7828421206

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 78284 21206

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117811 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 04:16:18.

End of official listing