This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST. GILES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. GILES

List entry Number: 1117813

Location

CHURCH OF ST. GILES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Pitchcott

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42187

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 72 SE PITCHCOTT

2/38 Church of St. Giles

21.12.67

- II*

Parish church, now disused. Nave probably C12, C13 chancel, C14 and C15 fenestration, tower C15 and 16. Porchrebuilt 1662, remainder much restored 1864. Coursed rubble stone, tiled roofs. W. tower has plinth, diagonal buttresses, plain parapet, and single openings to bell-chamber with cusped rectangular heads. C15 W. doorway and window, both restored, the doorway with 4-centred arch and hoodmould, the window with 2 traceried lights. Nave has 2 bays of 2-light windows with cusped flat heads, now mostly C19, and central N. and S. doorways with 2-centred chamfered arches. N. doorway is blocked; S. door has cusped niche above and gabled porch with shallow chamfered arch. Chancel has diagonal buttresses, 2 restored lancets and moulded doorway to S., C19 vestry to north, and 3-light traceried E. window with small cusped roundel above. Interior: double hollow-chamfered arch to tower. C19 chancel arch on corbel columns with carved foliage caps and bases. N. wall of chancel has rectangular recess, S. wall has cusped piscina. C19 roofs and glass in E. window. C13 moulded stone book- rest has been moved to Oving church. Other fittings have been sold and dispersed. Building due to be converted to house at time of listing. RCHM II p. 235-6.

Listing NGR: SP7753320419

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SP 77533 20419

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117813 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 03:19:54.

End of official listing